1 September 2015

Playing with paint.


An idea popped into my head just the other day…. it involved ink, watercolour washes and  textiles.

Its been a LONG time since I got the watercolour paints wet, so I thought I should have a play and create some paint trials, splurges, mixes… happy accidents.

I spent a few days creating pages and pages of coloured splodges.

 

Firstly mixing each and every colour together and then taking a selection and exploring the mixing variations.

Here are just two of many spreads in the sketchbook.

Buff Titanium +...

2 paint swatch 2

 

1 paint swatch 1

It makes a great change from mark making explorations.

 

I don’t usually recommend supplies but I can’t fault two products.
Firstly Daniel Smith Watercolors (or as we say in the UK Watercolours).  The intensity is like nothing else.
I like to work with transparent or at least semi-transparent watercolours but I also like strong colour.
These give me the perfect combination.

Secondly brushes.  I have hunted for YEARS to find a brush that works for me.
I’m not so good at painting with a brush - I usually prefer my fingers, but whilst this is practical for acrylics it doesn’t work for watercolour.
Just last week I discovered KUM Memory Point Brushes.

Perfect - and even better they are 3 for 2 at Cultpens - who offer the most fantastic service and free next day delivery. 

I have just two days left before the summer holidays are over for 2015.
Incredibly mixed feelings as I shall miss my boy SO much.
I love having him around. 


On the other hand I’m looking forward to getting back to work in the studio. 
I have pages of ideas in my sketchbook to work through.
And a “New Year” (for I still work in school years) resolution to be more committed to a proper working schedule each week.
(Dorothy I’ve written it down so it must be true!) 

3cf8daeb07d55b4b27a9797537dd615e 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 am

    Yup... the WHOLE WORLD knows now, so you have to stick to it. :-) :-)
    You are lal ready to go now. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:47 am

    Yup... the WHOLE WORLD knows now, so you have to stick to it. :-) :-)
    You are lal ready to go now. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:48 am

    Yup... the WHOLE WORLD knows now, so you have to stick to it.
    :-) :-)
    You are all ready to go now. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete