26 July 2014
24 July 2014
23 July 2014
Pinned together to see how it looks.
The little bustle on the back is embroidered with black crows.
The grey fabric will form a long train that’s painted to match the bodice.
I’ve now got the lining and boning ready to cut and put together for the corset, and I need to put that skirt together and onto a waist band.
Next instalment soon!
15 July 2014
Cut out or not cut out? That was the question.
I decided it would be easier to see what was what if I cut the pieces of the bodice out before painting them.
To keep the rather slippery fabric still I taped them to card, found the stencil I wanted and the Markals oil sticks.
Markals are oil paint in stick form and perfect for fabric decoration. It takes a little practise, a steady hand and nerves of steel.
It couldn’t go wrong, there is no spare fabric (don’t ask, not my fault, more mis-sold with marks that I wasn’t expecting and had to cut around).
I used two colours - silver and charcoal, blending the two colours as I went along.
Leave for 48 hours, iron well (cover with parchment paper and use a hot iron) and then they are fixed permanently.
13 July 2014
I wanted something that I would love making, that would stand out and that I could utilise in future teaching and lecturing.