9 January 2014

The Indian Hanging

Well finally I can unveil a new piece of work.  I had to shhhh before Christmas because I wasn’t sure if Angie reads this blog (do you Angie?)

I forgot to take measurements, I’m not good at guessing but it was around 40cm across and 50-60cm lengthways.

Angela s Paisley Hanging

The background is made from sari silk ribbon, woven and stitched.  The border is hand dyed cotton velvet, machine stitched with little arches.

There are numerous shisha mirrors, silver elephants and sparkling things in the background.

Angela s Paisley Hanging 005

The main motif is hand dyed silk velvet, appliquéd, stitched and beaded.  
It took FOREVER to cut out and iron all the little pieces - important to keep them in order so that the colour flowed around the paisley.

Angela s Paisley Hanging 010

 

Angela s Paisley Hanging 009

More paisleys were “drawn on” using free motion embroidery - my favourite way to draw.  
I find it much more enjoyable than a pen or pencil drawing.

Angela s Paisley Hanging 004

Each of the three embroidered paisley designs were beaded. 

Angela s Paisley Hanging 014

There is another picture here on Blipfoto - showing the elephants.

Now I need to make one for myself - Angie will appreciate that as an in joke.

5 comments:

  1. There is just one word for that. WOW!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Helen.. well worth waiting to see it in its entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely detail on the paisleys. Did you burn back the chiffon layer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Helen..beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:36 am

    That's just stunning - what a wonderful explosion of colour on a very grey January day!

    ReplyDelete